Limit - New Database feature

Thomas Hackert thackert at nexgo.de
Mon Jun 10 23:53:36 PDT 2013

Hello Alex,
On Montag, 10. Juni 2013 21:06 Zolnai Tamás wrote:
thanks, Alex, to bringing my problem to this list :)

> Thanks for the note. I looked up the thread on german discuss
> list. The problem is not that "doesn't insert the required WHERE
> clause before the LIMIT" (it sounds like adding a criteria on GUI
> and this criteria not inserted into the select statement before
> the limit clause while running), but hsqldb does not support
> queries like "select * from table limit y". In hsqldb's concept we
> have to use a WHERE or an ORDER BY clause before LIMIT or at least
> a Table alias.

But should this not be mentioned in the help to "SQL;LIMIT clause"
(so it is called in Germanophone OLH ... ;) In Pootle you can find
it at
https://translations.documentfoundation.org/de/libo_help/translate.html#unit=40700280)?
Something like

<quote>
<ahelp hid=".">Expands the created select statement of the <link
href="text/shared/explorer/database/02010100.xhp" name="SQL
Query">SQL Query</link> by the LIMIT X clause</ahelp>. This can be
used to limit your SQL Query results to those that fall within the
first X number of it.
Note: LIMIT does not work with Base per se. If you want to use it
with %PRODUCTNAME Base's integrated HSQL, you need to add either
"WHERE" or "ORDER BY" clauses in SQL.
</quote>
(or something like that)? Feel free to correct my errors and or
improve it ... ;)

> In case of mysql, Base appends a table alias automatically to the
> select statement (read on the german list). I don't sure this
> appending's aim is to avoid this problem or not, but can use for
> hsqldb too.

Is there a possibility to implement some kind of dialog to ask for
the "WHERE" or "ORDER BY" clause in an easy way? I am not a
programmer, so I could not be of any help, sorry ... :(

Have a nice day
Thomas.
<TOFU removed>

--
Good evening, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became
operational at the HAL plant in Urbana, Illinois, on January 11th,