LO /  Firebird DB Integration

Andrzej J. R. Hunt andrzej at ahunt.org
Tue Jun 25 13:34:34 PDT 2013

On 16/06/13 10:34, Michael Meeks wrote:

>> The Windows build looks like it'll be somewhat tricky, running
>> configure fails at the moment with
> 	:-) so - often it is necessary to tweak the generated configure files -
> eg. libxslt/libxslt-configure.patch to make these things work. Of
> course, ideally we can get changes to the configure.ac up-stream too.
> Fridrich is really rather an expert here :-)
>
>> According to the instructions at
>> http://www.firebirdsql.org/en/building-the-code/ you are supposed to
>> just run three .bat scripts, but I'm not sure how well that'll
>> integrate with the rest of the LO build system -- I'll update once I
>> understand more.
> 	It may be rather easier to have a few .bat scripts instead of a full
> configure cycle on Windows.
>
> 	I guess you want a CustomTarget of some kind to run that (?)
I've been trying both avenues: trying to hack the make based system
(i.e. just pretending we're mingw rather than cygwin) failed when
gcc-wrapper is used to link one of the binaries in the build (complains
about not finding the output executable...) -- I'm somewhat clueless
w.r.t to any compiling/linking stuff but I guess I could probably get
this to work with sufficient experimentation (e.g. I'm guessing you have
to use something other than msvc to link executables?), I'd just need to
spend some more time researching how things are supposed to be built /
what tools should be used. In the meantime I tried the official method.

The other (official) path with the .bat scripts turns out to run some
msvs project files -- these are in fact only for MSVS 6-8, whereas we
need 10 and 11 (2010/2012) working -- after upgrading them to 2012 files
I'm getting errors in the build with various files not being found which
I still haven't been able to get to the bottom of (the upgrade/migration
of the project files spat out a huge number of warnings). (There is a
separate directory for every single version of msvs containing the
various project files -- according to tml 10 and 11 should be compatible
so I'd just need to duplicate the fixed directory for all of LO's
supported msvs's to work, assuming I get them to work.) This also
assumes you use the FB bundles ICU, no idea how easy it will be to feed
in the LO internal ICU instead with this setup.

I'm beginning to think it's worth just trying to use the make based
system to build firebird on windows. (I've been trying to look at how
Firebird 3 does things -- IIRC it had a much cleaner build system -- but
their SVN appears to be down at the moment so I can't confirm.)

Cheers,

    Andrzej