fdo#41572 Making it possible to add custom animation to master slides

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Mon May 13 22:25:38 PDT 2013

If you just would have made it so in your patches from the start that your
code is at least compiled (and thus by necessity free from syntax and
language errors), it would have been easier to understand that it is a work
in progress. Sure, of course it should be OK to submit work on a bigger
task in pieces. So maybe we are being too harsh...

- You still don't do anything to make this code be compiled and linked into
some library

- Clearly you haven't even compiled it yourself (using some temporary local
scaffolding) as there are syntax errors (most obviously, no corresponding
#endif to the #ifndef __SD_TOOLS__

- Isn't "sdtools" a bit odd name for these headers?

- You don't suggest adding anything to any class, just a couple of
freestanding functions?

- Even if it would be syntactically correct and linked into a library,
there is of course nothing added anywhere that would invoke any of this code

- Why do you use the type ULONG in a couple of places in the code, how did
you even find that type which has been obsolete in most LibreOffice code
for a long time?  suspect the ULONG came from some random googling that
found old OpenOffice.org code

- Much of the code in your C++ file seems to be picked from here and there
in the sd tree, with slight spacing changes. Sure, this might be because it
actually makes sense (and there is nothing wrong as such with that, copying
small code snippets around is what coders do all the time, there are not
many ways to write a for loop that iterates over a specific data structure
etc).

Note that I did not try to figure out what your code actually does, as I am
not an Impress expert anyway. Maybe Thorsten could...

I wonder if the root of all this horrible misunderstanding of what a proper
implementation of that "Easy Hack" should include is the "Making it
possible" part of the Easy Hack title, and the "Please make it possible"
part of the fdo#41572 title? Maybe that makes it sound as if an actual
implementation is not desired for the Easy Hack, just a start?

--tml