LibreOffice extensions to ODF: Improving documentation

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 06:07:59 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Michael Stahl <mstahl at redhat.com> wrote:
> sounds nice, except:
>
>> ! ODF Version(s) Extended  <!-- e.g. 1.2+ -->
>
> this should generally be the latest ODF version that the LO release
> supports, ... so what's the benefit of tracking this?

I expect that there will be features in ODF 1.3 that were implemented
as extensions to ODF 1.2 in LibreOffice. If a user of LO 6.5 saves a
file in ODF 1.2 for backwards compatibility, I wanted to be clear
about whether the file created would use this extension.

> and if you select to store your files in a specific,
> non-extended version in Tools->Options you don't (or at least shouldn't)
> get any extensions...

I totally agree :-)  My reasoning was that once ODF 1.3 comes out, ODF
1.2 Extended might still be a user-selectable option. But perhaps that
won't be the case?

>> ! Validation Errors  <!-- Any errors/warnings this feature will
>> trigger in an ODF validator, or "none" -->
>
> i'm not sure if this is so useful - you can tell the validator if you
> want to check strictly against the schema or allow extensions:
>
>  -c: Check conformance (default for ODF 1.2 documents)
>  -e: Check extended conformance (ODF 1.2 documents only)

That sounds good to me! In the past at least I tried validating
generated documents against the "extended conforming" option of the
OpenDoc Society's online validator
(http://odf-validator.rhcloud.com/), and got several errors. Assuming
that the documents are indeed "extended conforming," I wouldn't expect
any errors.

> if the extensions are properly name-spaced then validation with -e
> should not report any errors, and validating a document stored as
> "extended" with strict conformance will inevitably report problems, so
> don't do that.

Oh, certainly -- one of my main goals here was to clarify what to
expect when one validates a document. As long as the docs are expected
to pass the corresponding category of strict, conforming, or extended
conforming tests, then I think we can remove that column, or perhaps
just rename it to "False Positive Validation Errors," in case one of
the validators is incorrectly flagging the documents LO generates.

Thanks!
--R

--
Robinson Tryon