LibreOffice Crash

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Tue Apr 7 06:21:09 PDT 2015

> I understand that this PYTHON is used only during the build. I added it
> because I had a failed build with something related to Python (couldn't
> find some library) in the past. The Python there is the official release
> from www.python.org, by the way, the same one that LO uses internally.

That might be so, but I don't think we want to expand the configuration
space when building LO on OS X (or Windows, for that matter) by allowing
the possibility to use a self-installed Python. The more ways to build LO,
the higher chance some combination will not work.

There is one *official* Python on OS X: the 2.7.6 one that comes with the
OS. And then there is the one we build and bundle in LO. Allowing also a
3rd-party one to be used (even if only at build time) (even if it is one
from the Python people themselves) is just asking for trouble.

BTW, personally I would not mind at all if we would bundle a *binary*
python.org build of Python in LO on OS X (and Windows), assuming it is
technically possible. (Does python.org provide binaries of Python built as
a framework for OS X, which is the way we build it, for instance?) But I
assume that then the people who insist that everything shipped in LO should
be built from sources would get very upset.

--tml