Two svg import filters

Anthonys Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Mon Dec 21 13:53:54 PST 2015

On 18/12/2015 09:29, Armin Le Grand wrote:
> Despite the quality being quite different, even when this would be
> fixed, there will alwyas be slight differences. How do you explain a
> user that the quality of the SVG he wants to use depends on the way he
> uses it? Does anyone expect users to know the difference between
> opening and inserting an SVG? How much do users like answers as 'yes,
> but you added it in the 'wrong' way...'? There should be no wrong way.
> You should not need expertise know-how to be able to use SVG in the
> best possible quality.

I would have thought the difference between "open" and "insert" was
pretty clear (yes, I know there are plenty of clueless lusers out
there). But it applies to pretty much ALL objects - if you "insert" then
LO keeps the object unaltered, if you "open" then LO converts the object
to a form that it can edit.

This is the way I understood MS originally intended inserting to work -
okay they didn't bother implementing it properly... but that is the way
LO should work across the board. Think of putting spreadsheet data into
a Word document - do you embed/insert an Excel spreadsheet, or
cut-n-paste into a Word table?

I don't know to what extent it's been fixed, but I think a lot of user
confusion is down to various Office apps being inconsistent in how they
behave - LO is (or was) a big offender imho, but then MS Office was
likely worse ...

Cheers,
Wol