Docker container for building LibreOffice

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 03:43:16 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 11:58 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen <
bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com> wrote:

> > g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
>
> Your compiler is broken and the question is why. Does this work outside the
> docker container? If so, you are likely hitting some limits of docker. As
> the
> failure is happening while compiling boost::spirit stuff, let me venture
> some
> guesses:
> - boost is rather widely deployed -- in general no version of gcc should
> choke on it
> - boost spirit is a true compiler torture test
> => maybe you run into ressource limits set by docker (e.g. process stack
> size etc.)

It can be that it runs into resource limits, because this docker container
is running
inside a VPS with 1.7GB RAM (in Google Cloud), which also runs 2-3 other
docker
containers. When I did `git clone` I also ran into memory limits, and I had
to reduce
the number of running containers, so that it could succeed.

I am running it with `nice`. Maybe `nice` and `boost` are a bit conflicting
to each-other.
Is it possible to disable boost? I don't mind if it takes 15h instead of
10h.

Anyway I will try to run it in a more powerful machine (again in a docker
container),
to see whether this makes any difference. I don't like the option of using
a dedicated
machine just for compiling LO, and the other option is to use a virtual
machine
(like VirtualBox) which in general is more demanding on resources than
docker.

> Note this is a problem with gcc and docker, _NOT_ one with LibreOffice
> itself.

I just want to make it work, I am not interested in who is to blame.
By the way, maybe it is my fault, maybe I am doing something stupidly wrong
in the steps that I am following. Can you please have a look at this script:
https://github.com/FreeSoft-AL/libreoffice-compile/blob/master/compile/compile.sh

Best,
Dashamir