Broken master and newcomers.

jan iversen jani at documentfoundation.org
Thu Apr 21 11:14:11 UTC 2016

Sorry for double mail, to this theme, but speaking with a good friend of mine (who runs a very big ci system), I got an idea, which might solve the problem for good.

Whenever jenkins builds a gerrit job, jenkins master knows when all platforms for that patch is compiled, so it should be possible to have a post-script on jenkins master (for gerrit builds) that does:
1) check if all platforms build
2) get the master commit the patch is based on
3) if the commit is higher than tag "buildable_master", move tag

I am no ci expert, so I leave it to Norbert to tell if the assumptions is wrong for our setup (I was told that jenkins master can be setup very differently).

This will allow contributors to build their first patch on a commit that are buildable on all platforms. Outstanding is to refine it, by including the result from our tinderboxes, which seems more difficult.

thoughts?

rgds
jan i.