Error building LO on local system

Kaganski Mike mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 27 00:37:12 UTC 2016

On 12/26/2016 11:16 PM, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

Earlier the master used to build successfully and I always create a separate branch for patches and don't make changes on Branch master itself.

Unless you are an experienced developer who is working on a specific feature where your work in progress will interfere with how LibreOffice works for others, it is really not useful to use a branch. In my opinion. If you use a branch, you will miss build fixes others have committed to master. For instance for this very problem (that others have seen, too), and that might be fixed in master already.

I suppose that using local branches is very convenient and correct way. If you only work with one patch at a time, you may use master; but when you are working on several (like e.g. one patch is being polished in gerrit, while another is in progress), then using master becomes messy.

I use a commant like this:
git checkout master && ./g pull -r && for branch in $(git branch | cut -c 3-) ; do if [ $branch != "master" ] ; then git rebase master $branch ; fi ; done && git checkout <A-CHOSEN-BRANCH-NAME-HERE> && make
to keep all branches up-to-date (I must say that I keep branches/tags like libreoffice-5-3 etc. on a different repo). Doing so allows me avoid huge recompilations each time I checkout a different branch, because  they are based on same baseline, and differ only by their specific commits (so building one makes all other ready for quick incremental build).

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski