BZ difficultyEasy -> difficultyBeginner (admin help neeeded)

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 04:22:48 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen
<bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 12:50:08PM +0100, jan iversen wrote:
>> I heard from another BZ installation, that the admins have the power to
>> supress emails, while doing bulk changes ?

Yes, there's some limited email-suppression built-in for some builds
of Bugzilla. For our Bugzilla, I wrote some custom code to make it
possible to suppress all bug-change emails based on user_id (aka
"Ninja Edits"). I ran into some perm problems with gerrit, but if
those get resolved, I can check-in those changes. Now that recall,
I've actually got an improved version of my first patch that leverages
Bugzilla's built-in group system so that one can toggle Ninja group
status directly in the admin interface. Not that we should do silent
edits on a regular basis, but it can be handy in some special cases
;-)

> AFAIK one can only set off notifications globally. So:
> 1/ disable notifications
> 2/ do foo
> 3/ enable notifications
>
> with the risks being: other stuff beyond foo done at the same time doesnt get
> notifications, forgetting to reenable etc.

That's generally true, but (IIRC) Keywords may be renamed directly in
the admin interface without triggering any notification emails. One
change, and all bugs are updated. Easy, peasy!

Jan I: Feel free to ping me re: change requests for Keywords. We'll
want to make sure that any pertinent docs on are the wiki are updated,
and perhaps something else that I'm not remembering off the top of my
head...

> I should have admin right now (thanks moggi), but feel like this when in that
> interface for now:
>
>  http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/234/786/bf7.gif

Yeah, dealing with Bugzilla sometimes feels like wrestling with a Klingon targ.

Best,
--R

--
Robinson Tryon
LibreOffice Community Outreach Herald
qubit at libreoffice.org
802-379-9482 | IRC: colonelqubit on Freenode