virus detection with GData

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 04:39:52 PST 2016

On 28.12.2015 22:06, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 9:57 PM, Regina Henschel
> <rb.henschel at t-online.de <mailto:rb.henschel at t-online.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I get a virus detection from scanner GData on the files
>     crash-1.tiff and hang-7.tiff in filter\qa\cppunit\data\tiff\fail,
>     both Exploit.CVE-2015-5097-Gen
>
>     and a suspected virus on the file hang-3.wmf in
>     vcl\qa\cppunit\graphicfilter\data\wmf\fail\ with
>     Exploit.Win32.MS04-032.Gen
>

> you can safely ignore these reports. Our */qa directories contain a
> number of files that are detected by various virus scanners. The files
> are there to prevent regressions with security issues.

it looks like the hang-*.tiff and hang-*.wmf are not encrypted.

the CVE-* files in the same directory are all encrypted with some dummy
password, so that virus scanners don't complain about them.

vcl/qa/cppunit/graphicfilter/data/README

i've taken the liberty to encrypt these now on master with
18b0343010517daa1eaf52a17ef19564076e1f3a, so you should only get virus
warnings when the tests are actually running (because the files will be
written unencrypted to temporary files), which can be avoided with
--disable-cve-tests.