Save as pdf - should we embed the document?

Anthony Youngman antlists at youngman.org.uk
Wed Jun 8 23:37:31 UTC 2016

I know developers love to add bells and whistles, and aiui when you
"save as pdf" from LO it can now embed the original document in the pdf
to make it easy to get the document back into editable form, but the
attached email below makes me think "is this wise?".

As I've learnt from Groklaw, the amount of information leaked in
documents because people did not know how to properly redact documents,
makes me think that embedding an editable version in a pdf is not
(certainly as a default) a wise thing to do.

I will add, I've never actually used the feature so I don't know what
the defaults are, but if LO is like most other projects, it just hasn't
crossed anybody's mind to think about it ... (having just looked at
"export with pdf" I can't see any mention of including the document, so
either LO doesn't which is fine, or it does and doesn't give the user
the option, which imho is extremely dangerous ...)

Actually, I don't know how we'd do it, but this implies there could be a
killer feature in here - a setting that warns about hidden data and
possible security leaks. Probably not best enabled by default, but a nag
feature that could be switched on to warn about hidden fields etc.

Cheers,
Wol