floating windows docking issue

Maxim Monastirsky momonasmon at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 15:04:16 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-12-14 at 09:00 +0000, Samuel Mehrbrodt wrote:
> Gimp solves this problem by having the docking windows in native
> windows, but then that native window can't be docked. Instead that
> window contains tabs which then can be dragged and dropped in the
> docking areas.
True. Drag & drop of tabs is a possible solution for docking panels,
but I don't know how well it will fit with the toolbars use-case.
Imagine a single-line floating toolbar with a system title bar + tab
bar to be able to dock it. It won't look good. (See tdf#113353 and
tdf#78188 for a similar problem that we had for years with gtk2 under
some WMs.)

> Thanks for the hint with the two docking implementations. I have to
> read the code to see what is achievable.
>
> There is also UNO API to create and move around docking windows, we
> obviously don't want to lose that.
Do you mean XDockableWindow? As I doubt it has any use for 3rd-party
code in its current state.

Maxim