AW: AW: tdf#108580: integrate vc_redist.exe into Windows installer

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 15 10:43:25 UTC 2017

Hi Mike, *,

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Mike Kaganski
<mike.kaganski at collabora.com> wrote:
> On 12/15/2017 12:53 PM, Juergen Funk Mailinglist wrote:
> […]
>> I have mean directly from Microsoft not from TDF.
>
> As I mentioned, there's no "Latest VS 2015 redist" static link on their
> side. Only "VS 2015 redist version X.Y.Z", which is the same as embedding
> this specific version into installer.

Even if there was one, I'd object against relying on having internet
connectivity when installing.

> Also: at the time of creating the installer, we could possibly check that
> our embedded redist is ~current,

the redistributables then being handled by windows update → that's not
as critical as with the current method of shipping the dlls locally.

> so users would have reasonably low chance
> to get update request related to newly installed software (taking into
> account our rate of releases). OTOH, if a user chooses to download and
> install an out-of-date version, then it's not unexpected that, e.g.,
> LibreOffice itself would warn about "newer version available"; so I don't
> see anything unexpected here on redist side as well.

Agreed.

ciao
Christian