AW: AW: AW: tdf#108580: integrate vc_redist.exe into Windows installer

Fri Dec 15 13:01:14 UTC 2017

Hi Mike,

exactly the same

juergen

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Mike Kaganski [mailto:mike.kaganski at collabora.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 15. Dezember 2017 11:23
An: Juergen Funk Mailinglist <Juergen.Funk_ml at cib.de>; libreoffice at lists.freedesktop.org
Betreff: Re: AW: AW: tdf#108580: integrate vc_redist.exe into Windows installer

On 12/15/2017 12:53 PM, Juergen Funk Mailinglist wrote:
> Hi Mike
>
>> 1. Creating a redirect at TDF side imposes additional load to our
>> server infrastructure; 2. Users will depend on reliability of TDF
>> servers wrt this (in terms of their state, correctness of the link,
>> and also possible man-in-the-middle problems with modified links
>> pointing to malware) - note that LO downloads themselves are served
>> from multiple mirrors, but this kind of redirection can't work using
>> mirrors
> I have mean directly from Microsoft not from TDF.

As I mentioned, there's no "Latest VS 2015 redist" static link on their side. Only "VS 2015 redist version X.Y.Z", which is the same as embedding this specific version into installer.

Also: at the time of creating the installer, we could possibly check that our embedded redist is ~current, so users would have reasonably low chance to get update request related to newly installed software (taking into account our rate of releases). OTOH, if a user chooses to download and install an out-of-date version, then it's not unexpected that, e.g., LibreOffice itself would warn about "newer version available"; so I don't see anything unexpected here on redist side as well.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski