Gerrit: mark patches as waiting for review

Kaganski Mike mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 3 10:17:56 UTC 2017

On 1/3/2017 1:03 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:

On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 07:23:23AM +0000, Kaganski Mike wrote:

I use +1 for that in my own patches; it indicates that others' review is awaited.

Please dont do that:

A patch in gerrit by DEFAULT is asking for review. No further action needed.

A patch in gerrit that is marked by the author with +2 has passed review and
thus needs no further review (aka is only waiting on the 'verified' by CI).

So if you submit a patch to gerrit you by default already ask for review.
Please dont do fancy things with it, if that is what you want. If you _dont_
want your patch reviewed (which obviously only can happen if you are allowed to
push directly to master anyway), you can self-mark your change with Code-Review
+2.

If your patch isnt yet ready to be reviewed (and you just want to put it
somewhere as backup or to discuss it), please use drafts:

Sometimes, a patch that was thought by me as a correct patch (ant dso was submitted for review), turns out to need some rework; and then it goes through numerous iterations until it gets ready. I don't expect initial (or other) reviewers to spend their time to review each iteration, and I don't know of a way to make already submittes change s draft (except resubmitting another change, which isn't always desirable); so when ready, I mark it "CR+1" - i.e. fine with me, but needs other's review, with accompanying comment that now I regard it ready and ask others to do actual review. As gerrit explicitly tells that it's what CR+1 means, I don't think it's a fancy thing.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski