Calc unit tests

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 22 22:14:18 UTC 2017

Hey Winfried,

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Winfried Donkers <
W.Donkers at dci-electronics.nl> wrote:

> Hi Markus,
>

> I'm working on fixes for Calc functions (LEGACY.)CHITEST and CHISQ.TEST
> that came forward when Raal compared results between Calc and Excel.
>
> When compiling my changes I came across unit test functions in
> sc/qa/unit/ucalc_formula.cxx, as these failed because of my changes. They
> tested the current behaviour, not the ODFF1.2 specs.
>
> I wonder if you have ideas about these tests now Raal has made test
> documents for almost all Calc functions? Can they be deleted, at least the
> CHITEST-test function, or do you intend to keep both unit tests (in which
> case I shall fix that test too)?

We still plan to have some tests in ucalc_formula.cxx. They have the
advantage of being more precise (they point directly to a failing
statement) and are much faster to execute. However such a test should only
be added in case of a fixed bug or a problem that is not easily covered in
the formula tests.

It is not unexpected that some of them are written against the
implementation instead of the specification. The best solution is to adapt
them while fixing the implementation. Actually I would consider them doing
there job if they start to fail when you update the implementation. While a
failing unit test normally means something broke you always need to
evaluate the failure and assess whether it might not be an expected failure
based on the new implementation.

So for now I suppose the best way forward is to just adapt the existing
tests to conform to your improved implementation.

Regards,
Markus