License information for extensions on LO's extension site

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 10:19:13 UTC 2018

I don't find a way to comment directly at
<https://amantke.de/2018/08/29/some-hints-on-publishing-extensions/>, so
moving that here.  Quoting that blog post:

[...]
> But without a proper license the Extension it is not appropriate to publish the Extension on the LibreOffice Extensions website.
>
> But it is not a very difficult task to add such a license information to the Extension. Just add a text file with the license to the Extension (zipped) container (preferably in a subfolder) and update the description.xml with the following xml-tag:
>
> <registration>
> <simple-license accept-by=”admin” suppress-on-update=”true” >
> <license-text xlink:href=”<relative link to the license file>”
> lang=”en” />
> </simple-license>
> </registration>

The description.xml simple-license element is about asking the user to
actively accept a license before installing/using the extension.  This
is awkward UX and I guess that many extensions do not want to bother
users with click-through license bla bla.

I don't think that it is a good idea to tie the question of whether an
extension is suitably licensed for publishing on LO's extension site to
the presence of such a simple-license element.