[TDF infra] Announcing Gitiles VCS browser (gitweb replacement) and https:// anon git URIs

Guilhem Moulin guilhem at libreoffice.org
Wed Oct 17 02:27:54 UTC 2018

Dear developers,

As announced a few hours ago in the infra call minutes, we deployed
another git browser — Gitiles —  alongside gitweb.  It's also what the
Google folks are using (in fact they're upstream), and IMHO has quite a
nicer feel than the venerable gitweb/cgit:

  * summary: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/plugins/gitiles/core/
    vs. https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=summary

  * commit: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/plugins/gitiles/core/+/master
    vs. https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commit;h=refs/heads/master

  * diff: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/plugins/gitiles/core/+/master%5E%21/
    vs. https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=refs/heads/master

  * log: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/plugins/gitiles/core/+log/master/
    vs. https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master

  * tree: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/plugins/gitiles/core/+/master/
    vs. https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/master

It also integrates better with gerrit (in the form a plugin), scales
better, and doesn't have CGI.pm's clunkiness, subtle bugs, and not so
pretty security record (yet).  And of course fancy Markdown rendering is
always a plus :-)

Right now https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/$CHANGENUM/ has both gitweb
and Gitiles links, but unless we hear strong objection we'll disable
gitweb at the end of the month, and serve requests to
‘/gitweb?p=${REPOSITORY}.git;a=${ACTION};h=${REF}’ as 302-redirections
to the corresponding Gitiles paths.

Also, while AFAIK the canonical VCS browser for LibreOffice is currently
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/ , if you'd like to use
something in TDF infra, like https://git.libreoffice.org/core/, we could
alias it to https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/plugins/gitiles/core/ .  (And
similarly for the other repos.)

Lastly, it's now possible to clone and fetch git repositories over
https:// .  While git:// URLs will remain supported for the foreseeable
future, they're intentionally no longer advertised in gerrit, and we
encourage you to upgrade the scheme of your ‘remote.<name>.url’ to
secure transports (SSH for authenticated access, or HTTPS for anonymous
access).  We'll update ‘lode’ and chase remaining git:// URLs shortly.

Cheers,
--
Guilhem, for The Document Foundation's infrastructure team.

PS: please preserve the CC when replying.