Trying to put LO Firebird patches upstream, license issue?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Sat Feb 9 19:19:01 UTC 2019

Hi Julien,

On 04/02/2019 21:15, Julien Nabet wrote:
>> Well - since our patches are modifications to Firebird, which requires
>> all modifications to have IDPL licensing, then all our modifications
>> cannot be under a different license?

	So - Mike is right; but I expect no problems here. We should contribute
to Firebird under their own license, respecting that. This may mean that
whomever wrote the patch / worked on it should contribute it up-stream
to Firebird, and/or give permission for that.
	> Could there be any compatibility between these licenses ? (perhaps only
> 1 way : submit an LO patch on Firebird or submit a Firebird patch on LO)

	We really don't want long-lasting patches in external/ that don't go
up-stream.

> I should ask to Tamas and Lionel (let's put them in cc) if they accept
> to submit the configure part of this patch upstream?

	Sure; and interestingly TDF and/or Collabora may own rights in that,
and may need to help out with the Firebird side if it is non-trivial.

	Then again - that is something we should definitely do! it's really
good to work on this, please do find out how best we can help contribute
those and fold them into Firebird.

	Thanks !

		Michael.

--