Base without HSQL support?

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sun Jun 9 12:05:47 UTC 2019

On 09/06/19 11:32, Jean-Pierre Ledure wrote:

> The concept of "embedded" database is - at most - a nice-to-have feature.
>
> A Base application embedding in the same single file both the logic and
> the data is 1. unmaintainable (a. You cannot prepare a new version. b.
> You cannot use 3rd party database design or database management or
> database ... migration tools), 2. "undistributable" to other users and
> 3. definitively limited to serving a single user.
>
> In fact, it is a nice toy but it is also nonsense to build real
> (data)Base applications, the data being embedded.

You're forgetting a large class of users ... the home user, who 1. tends
to "write and forget", and doesn't know about 3rd-party tools, 2. has no
desire to share, and 3. by definition is a single user.

Personally, I agree with you that teaching users is a good idea (except
that many have no desire to learn), and would love to migrate people off
relational on to something that is simpler and better :-)

Cheers,
Wol