Support for the Apache Parquet file format

Shadi Akiki shadi at autofitcloud.com
Fri Nov 22 07:37:12 UTC 2019

Hello! Is there any work being done to support the Apache Parquet file
format?

The two data processing tools that I use locally with parquet are:

  * python pandas [1] [2] for programmatic access
  * visidata [3] (CLI that uses pandas under the hood) for more
    "interactive" access

I'm wondering why Parquet is not yet a supported format in LibreOffice
Calc (and most desktop worksheet processing tools for that matter).

On an unrelated note, I was also surprised to find out that Tableau only
supports Parquet through a database server like Apache Drill [4][5].

I feel that parquet files are under-rated, and that perhaps pushing for
native desktop application support would encourage its usage over the
standard (and less efficient) CSV file format. I may be completely wrong
and would welcome feedback.

  * [1]
    https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/reference/api/pandas.read_parquet.html
  * [2]