Re: LIBRASOffice - Vídeo - Solve MIT 2019

Miguel Teixeira miguel.teixeira at poli.ufrj.br
Tue Mar 17 16:26:07 UTC 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
De: Miguel Teixeira <miguel.teixeira at poli.ufrj.br>
Date: seg., 16 de mar. de 2020 às 10:59
Subject: Re: LIBRASOffice - Vídeo - Solve MIT 2019
To: Olivier Hallot <olivier.hallot at libreoffice.org>
Cc: Ilmari Lauhakangas <ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org>, Daniel Silva <
daniel.lipe at poli.ufrj.br>, Lidiana Souza dos Anjos <
lidianasouza at poli.ufrj.br>, Fernando Gonçalves Severo <severo at cos.ufrj.br>,
Henrique Luiz Cukierman <hcukier at cos.ufrj.br>, Pedro Braga <
pedrohcbufrj at gmail.com>

Hi,

I apologize for the delay in answering.

Current assistive technologies favor better accessibility for the blind
people. There is no such thing as a "Braille language" or "Braille
culture". A blind person does not need to communicate through a "different
language" or adapt to a new language that depends directly on a sense that
he does not have and a diferent culture. Before they learn to write,
children, in general, learn to speak. For example, a blind person can learn
to speak a language just as children learn by listening to other people
speak. A deaf person often learns to communicate through a language only
after older ages (for example, many deaf people in Brazil only learn LIBRAS
after the age of 18). In the case of deaf people, there is a different
language and culture. A simple literal translation of textual elements of
the interface may not be such an interesting idea (but in some cases it can
be useful). Here, there is an issue where, a simple adaptation of something
that already exists (like the current accessibility APIs) can serve as a
"quick fix", but that does not mean that it is the best option.

I attached a PDF file talking a little more about this subject.

Best regards,

Miguel.