Using SVG module from Skia

Mike Kaganski mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 28 09:17:54 UTC 2023

On 28.04.2023 12:12, Hossein Nourikhah wrote:
> I think there can be a good rationale for using Skia, or other good
> external SVG libraries, considering the use case of the two SVG import
> filters, which includes converting an SVG unchanged:
>
> 1) svgio: For Insert -> Image -> From File
> 2) filter/source/svg used to open SVG file
>
> Quoting from Fernand:
>
>> From a users point of view:
>> Inserting a SVG-image in Writer, Calc or Impress must been done
>> "unchanged" because users will in 99% off all cases not edit a Image.
>> Opening in Draw is a different game where in most cases the user has the
>> intention tot edit a image and save back SVG or as a other format.
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2015-November/070909.html
>
> In this way, converting documents containing embedded unchanged SVG
> files is an important use case, and it is meaningful to have a faster
> conversion with more SVG features supported.

Any difference in handling of SVGs between Draw and Writer will be an
own bug.

Only use in icons could be really considered (as a "temporary" measure,
because indeed fixing svgio should make it eventually unnecessary), iif
its integration is not much of a work for someone volunteering for the task.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski