Remove hard-coded key combination shift+ctrl+f6

Michael Weghorn m.weghorn at posteo.de
Wed Sep 11 04:42:42 UTC 2024

On 2024-09-10 18:42, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> We use F6 and Ctrl+F6 for accessibility, and take care of these
> shortcuts. But additionally Shift+Ctrl+F6 is assigned to split windows.
> According the help [1] this is for "Controlling the Dividing Lines",
> which works in Calc but not Draw/Impress, and can be easily replaced and
> customized with .uno:SplitWindow.
>
> So I propose to remove this hard-coded shortcut completely, tentative
> patch at [2,3]. Any objection?
>
> [1] https://help.libreoffice.org/6.2/en-US/text/shared/guide/keyboard.html
> [2] https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/173122 (code)
> [3] https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/help/+/173095 (help)

Quoting my comment [1] from the Gerrit change:

> As mentioned in https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/172870 , I'm not very familiar with the feature, so please take this with a grain of salt.
>
> From reading the documentation that Regina pointed to [1], I'm wondering whether .uno:SplitWindow doesn't do something else than the Ctrl+Shift+F6 shortcut currently provides:
>
> * .uno:SplitWindow (available as "View" -> "Split Window" in Calc, IIUC) toggles whether the split window is enabled, i.e. only allows enabling and disabling split window mode
> * Shift+Ctrl+F6 allows adjusting the split window "settings", i.e. provides a keyboard-accessible way of what can otherwise be done by dragging the split lines using the mouse.
>
> https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/attachment.cgi?id=196365 is a screencast of first using the "Split Window" feature (assigned to Ctrl+Shift+F8 for testing) and then from about 00:20 on, the Shift+Ctrl+F6 feature to adjust the split window "settings".
>
> Is the latter still possible somehow using only the keyboard with this change in place? (Or would it possibly make sense to add a new UNO command to allow setting a shortcut instead of hard-coding Ctrt+Shift+F6?)
>
> [1] https://help.libreoffice.org/24.8/en-US/text/shared/guide/keyboard.html?&DbPAR=SHARED&System=UNIX

While I'm not attached to the Shift+Ctrl+F6 shortcut in particular, I
think it wouldn't be ideal to lose the functionality to adjust the split
window view using the keyboard, mainly for accessibility reasons.
Would that still be possible somehow?
(If so, updating help accordingly would IMHO be great.)

[1]
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/173122/comment/e37b6d09_9952fcd9/