[LightDM] Is it time to re-factor yet :^)

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon May 16 08:56:08 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 4:20 PM, j. apple muncy <j.apple.muncy at gmail.com>wrote:

> Or how to avoid the whirlwind.
>
> Greetings everyone.
>
> I observe the coding of lighdm is well under way and I'm thinking the
> pressure to meet the releases of 11.11 is probably going to build without
> bounds.
>
> Is there time now to consider the inclusion of some of the more offbeat use
> cases?
> 1: Headless(no monitor, keyboard, or monitor)
> 2: True headless(no video card) but Xvfb.
> 3: No X but only XDMCP.
>

> 4: No Dbus.

When would "no dbus" be a real use case?

> 5: No X until after login.

If you've already logged in, you don't need a login prompt for anything.
What would LightDM (or GDM/KDM/XDM) gain a user over simply typing startx
themselves? They're clearly the sort of user that doesn't like doing things
the easy way, maybe this software simply isn't for them.