[LightDM] Is it time to re-factor yet :^)

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Thu May 19 19:15:33 PDT 2011

On 17 May 2011 01:20, j. apple muncy <j.apple.muncy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or how to avoid the whirlwind.
>
> Greetings everyone.
>
> I observe the coding of lighdm is well under way and I'm thinking the
> pressure to meet the releases of 11.11 is probably going to build without
> bounds.
>
> Is there time now to consider the inclusion of some of the more offbeat use
> cases?
> 1: Headless(no monitor, keyboard, or monitor)

Works now.

> 2: True headless(no video card) but Xvfb.

Pass, I guess if X supports it?  Bryce is probably the right person to
know this one.

> 3: No X but only XDMCP.

Same as case 1.  Well, really the only reason I can think of you'd
want to run without input/output.

> 4: No Dbus.

D-Bus is not used in the core of LightDM, so it should be able to get
somewhere to starting something.  Services that are outside of LightDM
will not be accessible (ConsoleKit, UPower etc) but that shouldn't
cause everything to fail.  This has never been tested of course.

> 5: No X until after login.

Not sure what case this is - do you mean autologin and the X server is
only available at that point?

> I'm thinking they could actually help point out some ways to modularise and
> simplify.
> People are going to come out of the woodwork asking for these cases to work
> and at minimal overhead.
>

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/lightdm
>
> is empty and I took me some time to find:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/LightDM/Design

This is somewhat out of date/half written.  I hope to find the time to
update the design documentation.