[Mesa-dev] TLS autodetection support in the X server

tom fogal tfogal at sci.utah.edu
Thu Dec 23 09:37:32 PST 2010

Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM, tom fogal <tfogal at sci.utah.edu> wrote:
> > Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> writes:
> >> On 12/22/10 02:30 PM, tom fogal wrote:
> >>
> >> We generally don't copy macros from the autoconf-archive into
> >> xorg-macros, [. . .] Is there any reason not to do that here?  Why
> >> should we add multiple levels of indirection to keep in sync?
> >
> > We shouldn't, I was just ignorant. I'll respin.
> >
> > ... and I have. Attached. Both against xorg/xserver this time.
>
> Tom, I thought the issue here was that mesa glx would get built
> with TLS, but xserver glx wouldn't. It seems like what you'd really
> want to do is get this macro into mesa so it could autodetect TLS
> capabilities and then use some value from mesa pkgconfig to detect
> how mesa glx was built.

I tried that, and others pointed out that a TLS-enabled X server can
load any kind of driver, so it's better to aggressively enable TLS
there, and then it basically doesn't matter what we do in Mesa.

The patch I sent to do exactly what you say was shot down:

  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2010-December/004397.html

Julien had expressed interest in getting the X server to do this,
though.

> What do you think?

I don't have an opinion, really ;)

My lone goal at present is to get Mesa to auto-enable TLS.  I'm
just trying to do whatever's asked so I can get that in... but it
seems there is some disagreement within the community as to the best
approach.

I think it's basically you and Eric A. advocating contradictory
approaches; if you two could work out what you'd like to see, I'll
implement it...

Thanks,

-tom