[Mesa-dev] DEATH to old drivers!
idr at freedesktop.org
Wed Aug 24 12:11:32 PDT 2011
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
I'd like to propose giving the ax to a bunch of old, unmaintained
drivers. I've been doing a bunch of refactoring and reworking of core
Mesa code, and these drivers have been causing me problems for a number
1. The hardware is so old that it doesn't support a lot of features that
have been common for 12+ years.
2. The drivers are so unmaintained that even hacking in new features
with dummy implementations is painful.
3. The drivers are so buggy that many piglit tests hang the GPU. I
tried doing a piglit run on a Rage128 Pro that I have, but I gave up
after having to blacklist 15 tests.
It also seems that at least some distros (e.g., Fedora) have stopped
shipping non-DRI2 drivers. If nobody is shipping it, nobody is using it.
My specific proposal is:
- Remove all DRI1 drivers: i810, mach64, mga, r128, savage, sis, tdfx,
- Remove all unmaintained Windows drivers: gldirect, icd.
- Remove beos.
- Remove fbdev (this is swrast on raw fbdev).
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the mesa-dev