[Mesa-dev] Building Mesa/LLVMpipe on Windows

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Mon Jun 22 12:12:56 PDT 2015

On 22/06/15 19:40, Florian Link wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I spent some time building Mesa/llvmpipe on Windows and created a Python
> script
> that implements all the required steps (downloading/extracting all
> prerequisites and sources,
> configuring and building LLVM and Mesa).
>
> The script is available at:
>
> https://github.com/florianlink/MesaOnWindows

Given you're building for MSVC, you could avoid MinGW by using
http://winflexbison.sourceforge.net/ .

BTW, I've been playing with AppVeyor for building Mesa builds with MSVC.
  You can see the builds log

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/jrfonseca/mesa

It doesn't build everything -- it uses pre-compiled LLVM binaries --,
and it also leverages a lot of software that is pre-installed int
AppVeyor build images.

 > I hope it helps some people struggling with the build details on Windows!
 > If you are interested, feel free to incorporate it into Mesa,

Maybe this sort of script wouldn't be a bad idea indeed.

 > I placed the script into the public domain.

Didn't know about unlicense.org . Interesting.  A bit off-topic, but I
actually have been considering public domain for future personal pet
projects, because when

> Best regards,
> Florian
>
> P.S. Is there any reason why there are no prebuilt Mesa opengl32.dll
> files available on the web? I considered putting a current dll onto
> Github as well, are there any reasons why I should not do that?

No particular reason other than nobody could be bothered.  Mesa doesn't
ship compiled binaries for any OS, not just Windows.

Personally I don't the time to prepare binaries.  If this ever was to
happen it would have to be fully automated via something like AppVeyor
(MSVC) or Travis-Ci (mingw cross-compilers).

I also worry about people just downloading opengl32.dll, without
understanding what they are doing, running into all sort of troubles,
and flooding with bug reports / support requests.

Jose