[Mesa-dev] Plan to work on opt_peephole_sel optimization for vec4

Francisco Jerez currojerez at riseup.net
Tue Oct 13 05:27:03 PDT 2015

Antía Puentes <apuentes at igalia.com> writes:

> On lun, 2015-10-12 at 15:55 +0300, Francisco Jerez wrote:
>> Antía Puentes <apuentes at igalia.com> writes:
>> >
>> > I will be working on global copy propagation then.
>> >

>> Heh...  I suggest you hold yourself from working on this for a while.
>>
>> While working on some fragment discard improvements last week I noticed
>> that a seemingly harmless change in the CFG could cause shitloads of
>> shader-db regressions (>8k).  The reason is that a bunch of optimization
>> passes of the compiler back-end are fully local (including VEC4 copy
>> propagation) and become ineffective anytime your dataflow happens to
>> traverse edges of the CFG.
>>
>> Instead of reimplementing the intricate dataflow propagation logic (e.g.
>> what fs_copy_prop_dataflow does) in every pass (or rather every pass
>> that needs to consider two or more instructions at once), I've given a
>> shot at implementing use-def chains in the back-end (didn't have a
>> bigger hammer at hand).  Use-def chains should simplify this sort of
>> optimization passes massively and allow them to work globally without
>> any additional effort: Instead of looping back the instruction list to
>> find out whether the last instruction that wrote a register had some
>> specific form (c.f. cmod_propagation, saturate_propagation,
>> compute_to_mrf, which are all local and have O(n^2) complexity), you
>> just look-up the use entry for the instruction you're interested in and
>> look at its immediate neighbours in the use-def graph, which represent
>> the instruction(s) that generated the variable.
>>
>> Use-def chains can be implemented trivially on an SSA IR so as an added
>> benefit it should become easier to port optimization passes to SSA once
>> they've been rewritten in terms of use-def chains.
>>
>> I've got an algorithm to construct the use-def graph basically working
>> on the FS back-end (I'm not sharing it publicly yet though because in
>> its current form it would likely offend some people's sensibilities -- I
>> could send you a branch in private though if you're interested).  I
>> haven't started porting other optimization passes to use it yet, but
>> it's next on my to-do list.
>
> Hi Francisco,
>
> that sounds great. Do you intend to do the same for vec4? Otherwise, I
> can try to port your work to vec4 once you are done with FS.

Pretty much the whole use-def analysis logic is independent from the
back-end, so it should be straightforward to port to VEC4.  However I
might need some help at some point rewriting other optimization passes
in terms of use-def chains instead of their current hand-rolled dataflow
analysis -- I'll get back to you once I have something solid for you to
use as starting point. ;)