[Mesa-dev] Updating mesa3d.org docs?

Sarah Sharp sarah.a.sharp at linux.intel.com
Thu Oct 15 14:27:48 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 01:34:54PM -0600, Brian Paul wrote:
> On 10/15/2015 01:18 PM, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> >1. What's the process for pushing updated documentation to the site?
>
> All the website pages are found in the git docs/ directory.  Changes are
> submitted as patches and reviewed like code on the mesa-dev list.

Sounds good.

> >2. How often are updated docs pushed? Once every week, month, or when
> >    there's a new Mesa version?
>
> I push them whenever a new Mesa version is released, but I can do it at any
> time on request.

Ok, great! I'll ping you when I get patches in.

However, I will note that the push process isn't working for some pages
on the website. 11.0.1 was released in September 2015 (when I would
expect you to do an update). You pushed a commit in 2013 to remove
references to CVS (commit dbbe108951 "docs: replace CVS with git"), but
that change is still not reflected here:

http://www.mesa3d.org/sourcedocs.html

Other pages that are out of sync with master include:

http://www.mesa3d.org/systems.html
http://www.mesa3d.org/license.html
http://www.mesa3d.org/install.html
http://www.mesa3d.org/envvars.html
http://www.mesa3d.org/osmesa.html
http://www.mesa3d.org/extensions.html

The license page seems particularly important to have up-to-date on the
website, since the text changed from "IN NO EVENT SHALL BRIAN PAUL BE
LIABLE" to "IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE
LIABLE".

Pages that people would generally check often (index.html,
relnotes.html) all seem to get updated. There are also less-frequently
updated pages like shading.html that are up-to-date. It's a bit of
a mystery to me why the other pages aren't being updated.

> >3. Any chance I could get permissions to push updated docs?  I'll be
> >    improving Mesa documentation as part of my new job, and I would love
> >    to be able to push myself once patches are accepted, rather than
> >    having to ping you.
>
> The typical deal is we wait until a person has some track record of
> producing good patches before giving git-write/push privileges.
>
> So, I'd suggest you make some changes/patches, post them to the mesa-dev
> list for review (others can push them for you initially), and then when
> you've got some history established you can file a request (via bugzilla)
> for git privileges.

Completely understandable. I have done a couple of commits to Mesa and
piglit, and I do have git repo access under the username 'sarah'.
I haven't pushed my own branches yet, as the patches are still being
tested internally, but I will be having someone else to push my initial
patches after they get mailing list review. I understand if you want to
wait a while for me to prove myself before you grant me additional
trusted privileges. :)

Sarah Sharp