[Mesa-dev] Mesa for OpenVMS

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Jan 19 05:24:02 PST 2016

Hi,

On 19 January 2016 at 02:14, Timothy Arceri
<timothy.arceri at collabora.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-01-18 at 16:47 +0100, Jouk Jansen wrote:
>> Can someone insert these patches in the git-repository.
>> I cannot do it myself, because the git-client on my OpenVMS is very
>> -very
>> limited and does not allow this.
>
> Why not make the changes on another system and send the patches for
> review from that system. I doubt anyone here is going to do the work
> for you.

Not only that, but the FTP link won't open in Chrome ('command not
supported'), and using a command line client to get /openvms fails,
because you need 'cd OPENVMS.DIR' instead. Once you've got over that,
and figured out how to put a semicolon in FTP command names, you then
get a zip archive which expands just containing a collection of files
which form a partial source tree.

The normal patch contribution guidelines are:
  - make only one change (or set of related changes, e.g. 'remove
unsupported #pragma once in this file', 'add #ifdef __VMS__ to these
files', etc) per patch
  - build up a set of patches (using 'patch')
  - send these patches individually to the mailing list for review

A ZIP file on an OpenVMS FTP server you can't access with regular
clients, containing 70 files (some of which are automatically
generated from other source, e.g. glsl_lexer.cpp) and no indication of
the actual differences from git, is really very far outside these
guidelines. I'm sorry to hear OpenVMS doesn't have a functional git
client, but perhaps you could consider using an operating system which
allows you to generate patches in the way that any normal open source
project would expect.

(As an aside, I found 'VERSION=Mesa V3.4' worth a chuckle.)

Cheers,
Daniel