[Mesa-dev] Mesa for OpenVMS

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Tue Jan 19 06:29:54 PST 2016

On 01/19/2016 06:24 AM, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 19 January 2016 at 02:14, Timothy Arceri
> <timothy.arceri at collabora.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2016-01-18 at 16:47 +0100, Jouk Jansen wrote:
>>> Can someone insert these patches in the git-repository.
>>> I cannot do it myself, because the git-client on my OpenVMS is very
>>> -very
>>> limited and does not allow this.
>>
>> Why not make the changes on another system and send the patches for
>> review from that system. I doubt anyone here is going to do the work
>> for you.
>
> Not only that, but the FTP link won't open in Chrome ('command not
> supported'), and using a command line client to get /openvms fails,
> because you need 'cd OPENVMS.DIR' instead. Once you've got over that,
> and figured out how to put a semicolon in FTP command names, you then
> get a zip archive which expands just containing a collection of files
> which form a partial source tree.
>
> The normal patch contribution guidelines are:
>    - make only one change (or set of related changes, e.g. 'remove
> unsupported #pragma once in this file', 'add #ifdef __VMS__ to these
> files', etc) per patch
>    - build up a set of patches (using 'patch')
>    - send these patches individually to the mailing list for review
>
> A ZIP file on an OpenVMS FTP server you can't access with regular
> clients, containing 70 files (some of which are automatically
> generated from other source, e.g. glsl_lexer.cpp) and no indication of
> the actual differences from git, is really very far outside these
> guidelines. I'm sorry to hear OpenVMS doesn't have a functional git
> client, but perhaps you could consider using an operating system which
> allows you to generate patches in the way that any normal open source
> project would expect.

I think the last time Jouk submitted "patches" a few years ago they
weren't real patches and I gave up trying to integrate the changes.
Jouk, can you prepare normal patches instead and post them for review to
mesa-dev?

And, sorry to ask, but is anyone other than you interested in OpenVMS
support?  I know you've been contributing OpenVMS support since the
early days of Mesa, but I don't recall ever seeing any indication of any
other users.

-Brian