[Mesa-dev] Patchwork review process (efficiency) questions

0xe2.0x9a.0x9b at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 15:49:25 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Nicolai Hähnle <nhaehnle at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03.06.2016 13:12, wrote:
>>
>> Situation: Looking at the content displayed by the web browser for URL
>> http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/mesa/series and sub-pages
>> accessible via the links.
>

> Patchwork isn't really central to most people's workflow as far as I
> understand it.

Ok. But how does a developer know (better: gets notified) when a patch
has been accepted and added to mainline mesa-git? Viewing all git log
messages every day because - just in case - the patch _might_ have
been added to mesa-git seems quite inefficient to me.

> Most of your questions' answers naturally fall out from that.

Not in my world.

> This mailing list is what's important.

In my opinion, now isn't the 1990-ties. (This is just my personal
opinion, you do not need to agree with it.)

>> - What is the influence of the default ordering (URL suffix
>> "?ordering=-last_updated") on the behavior of reviewers?
>
> Probably zero, because I doubt people go via Patchwork.

In that case, the process might be even less efficient than I though.

>> - What about those patches on the 10th page from previous year? Why
>> are they in the list?
>
> Nothing.
>
>> - Do patch submitters regularly clean up outdated patches?
>
> No.
>
>> - Does a patch submitter receive a notification email when he/she
>> forgets about a patch over time?
>
> No.
>
>> It seems to me that the current review process isn't as efficient as it
>> can be.
>
> To be blunt: that may be the case, but even if so, it's extremely unlikely
> bordering on the impossible that comments from the sideline from somebody
> who hasn't got an experience of contributing could ever be helpful.

Outsiders and enemies. That is so ... cool.