[Mesa-dev] Patchwork review process (efficiency) questions

Nicolai Hähnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:08:03 UTC 2016

On 03.06.2016 13:12, ⚛ wrote:
> Situation: Looking at the content displayed by the web browser for URL
> http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/mesa/series and sub-pages
> accessible via the links.

Patchwork isn't really central to most people's workflow as far as I
understand it. Most of your questions' answers naturally fall out from that.

This mailing list is what's important.

> The following questions are troubling me:
>
> - How does a patch submitter know when a reviewer will take a look at the patch?

There are no hard rules. You learn from experience.

> - What is the order in which the reviewers are looking at the patches?

There is no fixed order.

> - What is the influence of the default ordering (URL suffix
> "?ordering=-last_updated") on the behavior of reviewers?

Probably zero, because I doubt people go via Patchwork.

> - What about those patches on the 10th page from previous year? Why
> are they in the list?

Nothing.

> - Do patch submitters regularly clean up outdated patches?

No.

> - Does a patch submitter receive a notification email when he/she
> forgets about a patch over time?

No.

> It seems to me that the current review process isn't as efficient as it can be.

To be blunt: that may be the case, but even if so, it's extremely
unlikely bordering on the impossible that comments from the sideline
from somebody who hasn't got an experience of contributing could ever be
helpful.

Cheers,
Nicolai