[Mesa-dev] Patchwork review process (efficiency) questions

Nicolai Hähnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 13:03:22 UTC 2016

On 04.06.2016 05:26, Timothy Arceri wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-06-03 at 13:12 +0200, ⚛ wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Situation: Looking at the content displayed by the web browser for
>> URL
>> http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/mesa/series and sub-pages
>> accessible via the links.
>>
>> The following questions are troubling me:
>>
>> - How does a patch submitter know when a reviewer will take a look at
>> the patch?
>> - What is the order in which the reviewers are looking at the
>> patches?
>> - What is the influence of the default ordering (URL suffix
>> "?ordering=-last_updated") on the behavior of reviewers?
>> - What about those patches on the 10th page from previous year? Why
>> are they in the list?
>> - Do patch submitters regularly clean up outdated patches?
>> - Does a patch submitter receive a notification email when he/she
>> forgets about a patch over time?
>>
>> It seems to me that the current review process isn't as efficient as
>> it can be.
>>
>> Looking forward to your opinions and solutions.
>
> We had a discussion about the use of patchwork around this time last
> year [1]. Since then I think we can definitely say people are making
> use of patchwork more than before (which was almost never). This is
> largely due to the great improvements made by Damien [2].
>
> The take away is patchwork is still a work in progress and as others
> have said it is currently useful along side email.
>
> Personally I find it very useful for keeping track of my patches and
> think it would be great if others would clean out their old patches to
> make it easier to find unreviewed patches,

Is there an easy way to do this?

I just logged in again, went to Series, and was able to filter for mine
- but I see no way to mark series as Done from the site. Going to
individual patches is asking a bit much...

Generally speaking, it would be awesome if Patchwork were better at
identifying trivially modified patches, but I admit that that's tricky
to do.

Cheers,
Nicolai