[Mesa-dev] Patchwork review process (efficiency) questions

Timothy Arceri timothy.arceri at collabora.com
Sat Jun 4 03:26:09 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-06-03 at 13:12 +0200, ⚛ wrote:
> Hello
>
> Situation: Looking at the content displayed by the web browser for
> URL
> http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/mesa/series and sub-pages
> accessible via the links.
>
> The following questions are troubling me:
>
> - How does a patch submitter know when a reviewer will take a look at
> the patch?
> - What is the order in which the reviewers are looking at the
> patches?
> - What is the influence of the default ordering (URL suffix
> "?ordering=-last_updated") on the behavior of reviewers?
> - What about those patches on the 10th page from previous year? Why
> are they in the list?
> - Do patch submitters regularly clean up outdated patches?
> - Does a patch submitter receive a notification email when he/she
> forgets about a patch over time?
>
> It seems to me that the current review process isn't as efficient as
> it can be.
>
> Looking forward to your opinions and solutions.

We had a discussion about the use of patchwork around this time last
year [1]. Since then I think we can definitely say people are making
use of patchwork more than before (which was almost never). This is
largely due to the great improvements made by Damien [2].

The take away is patchwork is still a work in progress and as others
have said it is currently useful along side email.

Personally I find it very useful for keeping track of my patches and
think it would be great if others would clean out their old patches to
make it easier to find unreviewed patches, but this is an open source
project made up of individuals from many different companies as well as
volunteers. I don't think its going to work very well trying to enforce
a centain workflow. In time if patchwork really adds enough value and
becomes easy enough to use I think people will naturally just start
using it more as we have already seen.

[1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/piglit/2015-June/016294.html
[2] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/piglit/2015-September/017317
.html