[Mesa-dev] GL4.5 or bust...

Francisco Jerez currojerez at riseup.net
Mon May 16 17:18:01 UTC 2016

Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> writes:

> On May 16, 2016 1:53 AM, "Kenneth Graunke" <kenneth at whitecape.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Monday, May 16, 2016 6:32:11 AM PDT Dave Airlie wrote:
>> > So I said this on irc over the weekend and it seemed like we had some
>> > consensus on holding off 12.0 until we could announce 4.5 on some
>> > hardware. This assumes the FP64 stuff is going in at least.
>> >
>> > So I decided to roll out the proposal here, which is that we finish
>> > GL4.5 features off for at least Skylake I think.
>>
>> Personally, I think it makes the most sense to proceed with the
>> time-based release as planned.  We've already packed a ton of great
>> things into it...i965 will jump from 3.3 to 4.2, and the other drivers
>> have made significant strides as well.  I'd like to have an i965 GL 4.x
>> release sooner rather than later.
>
> The three things I would absolutely like to land in 12.0 are: attrib64 so
> we can get 4.2, Curro's spilling *compiler* fixes (we can land those later
> and back-port if needed), and a set of format cleanups in the Vulkan driver
> I plan to send today.

Yeah, I plan on sending that series out today.

> Beyond that, I agree that landing SIMD32 would be really nice and worth
> delaying by a week but no more.  Getting actual 4.5 it looks like will take
> longer to do properly.

Right.  If other people agree on delaying the branch point by a week it
should be possible to at least merge the subset of SIMD32 that we're
missing to enable desktop compute shaders.  Personally I'm not sure if
that's a great idea [the 12.0 release is likely to be bumpy enough
already ;)], but if people want I'm willing to do the work -- Otherwise
I'm fine with doing it after the branch point which gives me some more
time to look into the performance issues of SIMD32 compilation.