[Mesa-dev] [RFC] - Rewrite mesa website in Sphinx

Eric Engestrom eric.engestrom at imgtec.com
Mon Apr 24 15:40:22 UTC 2017

Sorry I haven't had time to look at this until now.

I just had a look, and besides style that can be tweaked later, I think
the main issue is that the homepage a visitor lands on when just typing
'mesa3d.org' should be more than a simple duplicate of the ToC.

The 'recent releases' list we currently have gives at least that
information, and I would like to keep that until (if) we find something
else/better.

Another thing, can you please make a (rebasing) branch with a commit per
file converted, where the old file is deleted and the new created?
That way, it can be easily verified that the content was correctly
converted (no information lost; typo fixes and the like are ok) and more
importantly it makes it obvious at merge time that a file has been
changed in its html form, and the corresponding change can be made on
the rst file.

I think we'd squash this into a single commit when merging though, to
avoid commit noise (unless we don't care?), but until then I think this
is the best form.

On Thursday, 2017-04-20 13:10:42 -0600, Brian Paul wrote:
> On 04/19/2017 05:23 AM, Emil Velikov wrote:
> > On 11 April 2017 at 13:10, Jean Hertel <jean.hertel at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > Any more thoughts on this?
> > >

> > > I would really appreciate feedback from more contributors.
> > >
> > Indeed.
> >
> > Brian, Eric, others - how do you feel with the Sphinx edition of the site?
> > If the current theme feels a bit off there's others available [1].
> > Then again, that can be changed/polished at any later stage.
>
> I guess it looks OK to me.  I was looking more closely at Sphinx markup and
> it seems pretty simple.
>
> I think we'll want the mesa3d.org website to auto-update when someone checks
> in changes to the Sphinx files.  Hopefully, the fd.o admins can rig that up
> without too much trouble.

I can rig it up, but I need to learn about python venv so it'll take
some time. DanielS is helping me with this.

With the branch I suggested, delays shouldn't be an issue, as changes
would be easy to track.

Cheers,
  Eric