[Mesa-dev] Time to merge threaded GL dispatch? (aka glthread)

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 00:40:25 UTC 2017

On Feb 7, 2017 11:55 PM, "Matt Turner" <mattst88 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Marek Olšák <maraeo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 2:57 AM, Kenneth Graunke <kenneth at whitecape.org>
wrote:
>> On Monday, February 6, 2017 8:54:40 PM PST Marek Olšák wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, even segfaults are expected with mesa_glthread=true.
>>>
>>> Marek
>>
>> Would it make sense to be crash-free or even regression-free on at
>> least Piglit, before merging?  (Or are we there already?)
>
> It's not necessary. glthread is disabled by default. Nobody has tested
> piglit with glthread. That will follow after it's been merged, or
> never if it's never merged.

I don't understand why you're so concerned about merging untested
code. That violates some pretty fundamental development practices of
the project.

It's exactly unfinished projects like this that cause problems and
inevitably have to be deleted later (ilo, openvg, d3d1x, etc). I don't
think it's a burden to develop something out of the master branch
until it's somewhat useful.

I'm not concerned about anything and you missed that it had actually been
tested to the extent that we can enable it for some existing games and at
least one unreleased game already.

I also don't have to be the guy merging it and I mean that. But if I do it,
this is how I'd like to do it.

>From my point of view, we don't strictly have to make piglit work. We only
have to make games that can benefit work. Piglit can only help us get there
more easily.

Marek