[Mesa-dev] Initial support for EXT_external_objects v4

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Wed Jul 26 18:53:31 UTC 2017

On July 26, 2017 8:48:18 AM Samuel Pitoiset <samuel.pitoiset at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I didn't review the radeonsi and radv patches, but I have sent comments
> on other parts.
>
> More generally:
>
> - I wonder if some intermediate patches can break Mesa, would be nice to
> avoid that (especially for bisecting) Can you double check?
>
> - I don't see any piglit tests... or did I miss them? :)

+1 on the need for tests.  I'll go even further and say that the obvious
minimal testing to exercise the extension is far from sufficient.  There
are a lot of complex ways in which two APIs can interact and we need to
ensure we get it right.  In particular, if we're going to claim that the
extension actually works properly we need:

 1. Tests which use more than just GL.  In particular, we need to test
sharing between GL and Vulcan.

 2. Test which exercise "complex" textures, i.e. textures with multiple
mip-levels, multiple array slices, 1D, 2D, 3D, etc.

 3. Tests which test different texture formats.

 4. Tests which test several different combinations of rendering, clearing,
glTexSubImage, etc. in one API and combinations of texturing,
glGetTexSubImage, etc. in the other API.

Preferably, a good set of combinations of the above.

Also, the Vulcan bits need to pass validation.  I shouldn't have to say
this but it's important and an easy thing to forget so I thought it worth
mentioning.

--Jason