[Mesa-dev] Is it time to stop using the mailing list for patch review?

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Wed Dec 11 16:47:23 UTC 2019

On 12/09/2019 04:07 PM, Dylan Baker wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I think its time we discussed whether we're going to continue to do patch review
> on the mailing list, or if it it should all go through gitlab. I think we should
> stop using the mailing list, here are some reasons:
>
> 1) Most development is happening on gitlab at this point, patches on the mailing
>     list are often overlooked
> 2) The mailing list bypasses CI which potentially breaks the build
> 3) Probably more reasons I'm forgetting.

I've had little time for Mesa work the past 18 months.  But I'd say:

1. I don't think the mesa-dev list should be shut down nor purged from
the documentation.

2. I think the complete workflow for submitting patches via gitlab MRs
should be documented on the Mesa site.  Being a gitlab newbie I wasted a
lot of time a few months ago trying to figure out the details.  Mesa's
"Submitting Patches" page is kind of a mess.  It would be great if
someone could work on that.

Someone mentioned hardly reading the mailing list anymore.  I still
haven't gotten into the habit of monitoring the MRs page...

-Brian