[Mesa-dev] Thoughts after hitting 100 merge requests?

apinheiro apinheiro at igalia.com
Sat Jan 12 11:10:42 UTC 2019

I mostly agree with your thoughts below. Will add some additional
comments inline.

On 11/1/19 18:05, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> I'm putting my own thoughts in a reply for some reason.  Here's what
> I've seen.
>
>  1. I really like GitLab "discussions".  It provides a very good way
> for both the author and the reviewers to keep track of what review
> comments have been dealt with and what comments are still outstanding.

Yes, I agree that the general discussion for a series has improved. But ...

>  2. GitLab is currently missing a good way to comment on commit
> messages which makes giving review tags rather painful.  There is a
> GitLab issue opened about this:
> https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/38602
>
>  3. GitLab has a bug regarding per-commit comments where they tend to
> get lost while you're looking at the commit itself:
> https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/53175

... as you mention here, there are some per-commit bugs. This makes
per-commit discussion and tagging (as you mention below) harder, so the
general discussion gets somewhat messy with individual commit messages.
And in addition to what your comment here, I miss the possibility to add
an annotate section on individual commits. For example, the usual
annotate section "I have this, but I'm not happy of X due Y, what do you
think", or in other words, a placeholder for starting a
discussion/debate for such commit. I guess that if those bugs are fixed,
it would be just doing the push, and then adding those "annotate
sections" on the commits.

>  4. At least two of those merge requests were small bug fixes by brand
> new contributors who I've never seen on the mailing list.
>
>  5. There's no way with gitlab for Reviewed-by tags to get
> automatically applied as part of the merging process.  This makes
> merging a bit more manual than it needs to be but is really no worse
> than it was before.

Well, I would say that it slightly worse. For small series, it is true
that I manually added the Rb when I got a review. But for big series,
when it got reviewed, I used patchwork to get back the series, but with
the Rb in place.