[Mesa-dev] vulkan video + beta header enables

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Fri Nov 5 01:59:11 UTC 2021

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 8:53 PM Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just polling for opinions here on how best to move forward with
> enabling the provisional vulkan beta headers in Mesa and the fallout
> from doing so for people importing updated vulkan headers.
>
> Do we want to allow beta/provisional features in main?

IMO, it's fine as long as you never land the final patch which flips
on the extension or, if you do, make sure it's very carefully guarded.

> Do we want to do it only under a meson option that distros never enable?

RADV_I_KNOW_IM_ASKING_FOR_BETA_FEATURES_WHICH_MAY_NOT_WORK=<date>

That way, it's harder to put in your .profile. :-P  Honestly, though,
just leave the last patch which flips it on in an MR that doesn't get
merged until the extension is final.

> If we do, who is responsible for updating the beta code on new header
> import, since the video headers are under quite regular changes?

That needs to be a collaboration between the people working on the
beta feature.  Thanks to all the XML code-gen we do, it's pretty hard
to update it one driver at a time.  Maybe that'd be possible but
ugh....

--Jason