[Mesa-dev] Workflow Proposal

apinheiro apinheiro at igalia.com
Sun Oct 10 23:44:44 UTC 2021

Answering here, as it is the second time it is mentioned that Rb is only
for "who can help support this years from now?", but not specifically to
this email.

On 7/10/21 15:00, Alyssa Rosenzweig wrote:
>> I would love to see this be the process across Mesa.  We already don't
>> rewrite commit messages for freedreno and i915g, and I only have to do
>> the rebase (busy-)work for my projects in other areas of the tree.
> Likewise for Panfrost. At least, I don't do the rewriting. Some Panfrost
> devs do, which I'm fine with. But it's not a requirement to merging.
>
> The arguments about "who can help support this years from now?" are moot
> at our scale... the team is small enough that the name on the reviewer
> is likely the code owner / maintainer, and patches regularly go in
> unreviewed for lack of review bandwidth.

There is another reason to the Rb tag, that is to measure the quantity
of patch review people do.

This was well summarized some years ago by Matt Turner, as it was
minimized (even suggested to be removed) on a different thread:

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2019-January/213586.html