[Mesa-dev] Mesa Querying Devices Filter

Stephen Crowell stephen.crowell at kitware.com
Tue Oct 26 17:38:35 UTC 2021

To whom it may concern,

I am attempting to use Mesa with EGL for a project and I have run into an
issue when initializing a device. My setup uses a surfaceless platform with
swrast as the gallium driver.

When I query for devices to initialize (using eglQueryDevices), the first
device listed is the driver for my GPU (nouveau) and the other devices are
the devices I want to initialize (swrast, swr, etc). My project currently
loops through all possible devices and initializes each one. Once one is
initialized properly, the program continues.

I was wondering if there is a way to filter out devices (like drivers for
GPU). This would make the output of my program more readable and also save
time by not initializing devices that will not work.

Also as a side note, why does Mesa query for my GPU drivers in the first
place? The only driver I specify to use is swrast and I am not sure why my
GPU driver is being found.

Best Regards,
Stephen Crowell