Modem Status State vs. Bearer Status Connected

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 22:18:21 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-09-08 at 14:07 -0600, matthew stanger wrote:
> I want to change it to report disconnected when not actively
> registered to
> a tower. I'd also like to find more ways to flag it as disconnected
> when
> you can't route out despite the bearer being setup and activated
> correctly,
> i.e. maybe you had a data connection and roamed onto a voice only
> tower.  I
> was assuming that the Modem status was the connection of the bearer
> i.e.
> WAN is setup and the bearer-connected status would be if it is
> routing so
> I'd update the bearer-connected status based on routing?

If the modem isn't actually registered, I'd assume the modem would
report that in its status when the general modem registraiton checks
are done, and that should trigger a bearer disconnect too.  See src/mm-
base-bearer.c::modem_3gpp_registration_state_changed() which watches
modem state and will start a 15s timeout to kill the bearer if the
modem deregisters.

What that won't do is stop the bearer if the modem jumps to
'searching', which might be what's happening for you?  I think MM
should actually start a reasonable timeout for that, or at least make
that selectable behavior.

Dan