Leveraging GPS in MC7700

matthew stanger stangerm2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 03:32:59 UTC 2017

Hi Adam,

First check to make sure you can get GPS location and not just 3gpp
location, i.e. location from just the cell tower. Run 'mmcli -m 0
--location-status' and check capabilities. You'll want to see something
like:
/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
  ----------------------------
  Location | capabilities: '3gpp-lac-ci, gps-raw, gps-nmea'
           |      enabled: '3gpp-lac-ci, gps-raw, gps-nmea'
           |      signals: 'no'

If you see more than the 3gpp option then you should be able to run 'sudo
mmcli -m 0 --location-enable-gps-raw'. This will setup the GPS but keep MM
from grabbing the GPS stream. Now you should be able to point GPSd to the
port the stream is on. See
https://sigquit.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/enabling-gps-location-in-modemmanager/
for more info. Hope this helps.

Cheers,