a little bit off topic: question regarding IPv6 (in Germany)

Reinhard Speyerer rspmn at arcor.de
Mon Oct 9 21:34:57 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 11:31:27PM +0200, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since changing the context (ipv4, ipv4v6, ipv6) is often not trivial I would
> need a second opinion / report.
>
> I noticed that one of my smartphones accepts the apn-type/context IPv6 (only),
> instead of ipv4 or IPv4/IPv6.
> IPv4 is not new of course, IPv4/IPv6 works for two years with exact that
> effect that you get private IPv4 and IPv6.
>
> This weekend I checked IPv6, and it is no longer denied. I get a complete
> IPv6-configuration and exact IPv6-only (without tricks like DNS64/NAT64).
>
> Can anybody confirm this behavior ?

Hi Thomas,

in case you performed your IPv6 test with the internet APN of T-Mobile
I cannot confirm this behaviour as attempts to use IPv6-only PDP
contexts with that APN are always rejected with cause 29 (user
authentication failed) for me.

> A second question (also only Germany, sorry for that on a international list).
> Vodafone allows here a setting of IPv4/IPv6 but you get only IPv4.
>
> Can anybody confirm this behavior ?

This also happens to me when using the APN web.vodafone.de with PDP
type IPv4v6.  From looking at the Activate PDP Context Accept message
received from the network one can see that the following IE is
included:
                        SM Cause 2 - SM cause
                            Element ID: 0x39
                            Length: 1
                            SM Cause 2: PDP type IPv4 only allowed (50)

According to TS 24.008, section 9.5.2.4: "This IE shall be included if
the network accepts the requested PDN connectivity with restrictions."

Regards,
Reinhard